Mildred Dindio

Died April 27, 2019

Mildred passed unexpectedly on Saturday, April 27, 2019, at the age of 96 surrounded by her children.

Mildred was preceded in death by her husband, Tony Dindio, and is survived by her sister, Grace, and other family members, Suzanne, Claudia, Michael, Phyllis, April, Anton and Nick.

Mildred lived in Twentynine Palms for 62 years.

Mildred was a native of Philadelphia and raised by a single, working mother, an anomaly for the times. She completed a one-year business program at Peirce College, which prepared her as the self-employed bookkeeper at Tony’s TV until its closing in 1986. In her years before Twentynine Palms, Mildred traveled as a Marine Corps wife to many bases, Great Lakes, Camp Pendleton, Oahu and Okinawa, Japan.

Besides raising and educating three children, Mildred proudly counted a devotion and service to her community of Twentynine Palms in her life’s accomplishments. She encouraged her children to engage in government at any level and offered many a typewritten comment letter on controversial projects and actions. Mildred was an avid believer in the power and responsibility of voting and while serving as a Voter Registrar, she registered all her children as soon as they turned 18 years old. They’re still voting.

Together with her husband, Tony, Mildred worked alongside the community to build Hi-Desert Medical Center and Copper Mountain College.

Two weeks before her death, Mildred was enjoying lunches with friends at the senior citizen center and never missed driving to her weekly hair appointment. She read the LA Times cover-to-cover every day and shared reporting on a variety of issues. She was always apprised of current events.

A funeral Mass in her honor will be conducted at 11 a.m. May 14 at the Blessed Sacrament Church in Twentynine Palms. A reception will follow afterwards at the 29 Palms Inn.

A celebration of life is being planned for the fall of 2019 and will be announced in the newspaper.

Always a practical person, Mildred requested that she be remembered through donations in her name to Copper Mountain College instead of flowers.