Fire

Firefighters tackle a house fire in the 73000 block of Sun Valley Drive Friday morning, Feb. 7.

TWENTYNINE PALMS — A late morning fire heavily damaged the home of former Food For Life President Kelly Schumacher, in the 73000 block of Sun Valley Drive, Friday, Feb. 7.

Schumacher said the fire began in the garage and may have been related to faulty electrical equipment there. She said she heard a pop from the area just before she saw the fire.

No one was injured in the fire, she said, though her husband was forced to leave his oxygen tank behind. She added that one of her dogs had not been accounted for.

Twentynine Palms firefighters were joined by firefighters from as far away as Morongo Valley in fighting the blaze, which heavily damaged the garage and spread to the living quarters of the home.

In 2018, Schumacher was given the Citizen of the Year award by Mayor McArthur Wright for her work for Food For Life, the ministry which provides weekly free meals to residents in need in Twentynine Palms.

She has also been active in the annual Point In Time count of homeless residents in Twentynine Palms.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.